Champagne Cream Mussels
Posted by Taylor Shellfish
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 cup chopped fresh fennel bulb
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1-1/2 cups Champagne (or white wine)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 3 pounds Taylor Mediterranean Mussels, debearded
- French Bread
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add fennel, shallots, garlic and fennel seeds.
- Cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add Champagne and cream and boil about 10 minutes or until mixture becomes thick.
- Add mussels and cover.
- Cook about 5 minutes or until mussels open.
- Discard any unopened mussels.
- Serve with plenty of broth and, of course, French Bread.
For the history of this dish and much more, please visit The Taylor Chef's Club