Mussels in Garlic and Guinness
Posted by Taylor Shellfish
- 2 pounds fresh Mediterranean mussels, scrubbed, debearded, and rinsed in cold water
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced flat leaf parsley, plus extra to garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup Guinness
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons unsalted Kerrygold Irish butter
- Lemon wedges for serving
- French bread for serving
- Put a stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. When the pot is hot, add the mussels and remaining ingredients and cover immediately (The mussels will make a sizzling sound.) Cook, stirring once or twice, for 6-8 minutes, or until the mussels open.
- To serve, divide the mussels among shallow bowls and ladle the broth over them. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with a wedge of lemon and slices of bread to sop up the juice.
Recipe and photo courtesy The Irish Pub Cookbook