Caribbean Clam Chowder
Posted by Taylor Shellfish
- 2 lb Taylor Manila Clams
- 2 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
- 1/4 cup chopped red sweet pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- Bring clams to a boil in a pot with enough water to cover shells. When shells open, shuck clams out of shells, chop, and reserve liquid (making sure to screen liquid to avoid any grit)
- Set clams aside
- Add enough water to the reserved clam juice to equal 2-1/2 cups
- In a large saucepan bring the clam liquid to boiling
- Stir in sweet potatoes, onion, celery, sweet pepper, and garlic
- Return to a boil
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, about 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Mash mixture slightly.
- Stir in clams, fresh thyme, tomatoes, lime juice, and rum.
- Return to boiling, then reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy Better Homes & Gardens